Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Amazing Sunday!!!

My Sunday was amazing...set up, donuts, coffee, fellowship, Sunday Morning Bible Study, Church Service, lunch w/family, short nap, small groups w/youth, break down and home by 7:30!!!! A very full but very spiritually fulfilling day. We showed up with our eyes, ears and hearts open and God was ready to bless.

Everything yesterday was so overwhelming to me. From the set up to the break down there was something that brought tears to my eyes. God tugged at my heart all day. I do want to talk about one specific thing that really tugged at my heart. Sunday Morning Bible Study!

Sunday Morning Bible Study a.k.a. Sunday School has been a highlight of my week here lately. I had not been to Sunday School for several years. I have spent the past several years teaching in the Children's Department or in the Youth Department. We now have small groups on Sunday night so that gives all of the teachers a chance to enjoy a class themselves and also be fed the word of God. I had not been fed in a class in a long time. As much as a teacher studies their lesson there is still something about coming into class and sitting down and being taught. Jeff is our teacher. Wow!!! Double Wow!!! I could sit and listen to his God infused lessons all day long. God is using Jeff as a mighty vessel for his word to be taught.

This weeks lesson was a continuation of the previous weeks. It bounced around in my head LOUD AND CLEAR!!! GO!!! Out and don't be afraid. Well its easy to Go...but the do not be afraid part I have always had to work on. I am good with people once I know them but just walking up to someone and telling them about my faith that is a whole different story. Well I was informed this week that it is not about ME!!!

Here are some excuses that were called out Sunday-
  • I fear the rejection of my friends and family
  • It is not the right time for me to tell them about Jesus.
  • I am not prepared to tell my testimony.
  • What if the person I am talking to asks me a question I can't answer.
  • What if???....you fill in the blank.

A lot of me's, my's, and I's in the reasoning behind why we don't GO and tell others about Jesus. I am guilty of this. :( Has anyone ever asked you about Jesus or what you believe and you answered the questions like you were walking on egg shells. You were afraid to get to deep because you didn't want to step on any ones toes or offend someone you are close to. Honestly I have and now that I look back I could kick myself. I missed an opportunity that I will probably never get back. We are here to plant seeds and we should never let an opportunity pass by that gives us the chance to plant them. Planting seeds can be as easy as letting others see Jesus in you. This is a way we can shine for Jesus without having to directly talk to anyone. You don't have to be a student of the Bible to be able to answer questions. The statement "They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care." fits this situation. Sometimes just showing that you care tells the whole story. It hit me while I was sitting in class that I don't have to know all of the answers. If someone asks a question I don't know the answer to I will find the answer for them. It is not about ME and what I know it is all about HIM!!!

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." - Matthew 28:16-20

Join me this week in stepping outside of our comfort zone. Let's GO out! Let's plant some seeds!!


God is so Good!

2 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Wow, what a powerful post!! I too am sometimes afraid but do find myself just saying, "Who cares anymore what someone thinks??" Great verse, we all need to do more of this!! Thanks for the reminder!!!

Kendra Lee said...

I can definitely testify that SELF gets in the way, more often than I'd like to think or admit. Great post!!