Monday, September 15, 2008

Kids say the darnedest things...


Alycia and Tomi
I don't know if anybody can remember the show Kids Say The Darnedest Things but today it hit me that sometimes my kids say the smartest things. I am stressing the sometimes because my two girls are usually screaming at each other.

Today Alycia my 16 year old said to me, "Mom that wasn't very christian now was it." After I had gotten over the anger that flew through me and thought for a moment I realized that it wasn't very christian. Sometimes especially here lately things have come out of my mouth with not much thought. My anger and hurt feelings have gotten the best of me. I have had to pray here lately for myself not to say things that I will regret later.

Back to Alycia reprimanding me...Once I was over the shock of Alycia's comments I was proud of her for bringing it to my attention. You know those moments that you think to yourself "She was listening!" Oh my gosh, all those years I thought I was talking to myself she was really taking it in for use in the future. Little did I know that it would be used on me.

One of Alycia's comments that hit so hard was just common sense. She said, "Mom if all of you adults could act like Tomi and I you wouldn't be having so many problems. We are friends first and the other stuff going on is not a problem with us." Wouldn't it be great to have that kind of outlook. It would be great if we could brush these weights on our shoulders off like they were feathers. Today I have started praying for God to allow me to get through the anger more earnestly than ever before. To have an attitude like my sixteen year old. (Who would of ever thought I would of said that statement?) To let it go and not be consumed. I know that it will not be easy but I know that God can help me to conquer anything that I lay at his feet.

I am so glad that Alycia is listening. Maybe she is using her selective hearing on the things I am preaching to her daily about loving her sister. Her motto about Kacey is this, "I can mess with her all I want but nobody else better mess with her."

No comments: