Friday, November 7, 2008

Lets Dance...

This morning I received an e-mail from a friend that took me back to my early years of marriage. My dear Grandma Grogan said something to me that has stuck in my mind but I don't know if I have used her advice wisely. She told me, "Honey don't ever put off things with your family because your house is a mess, that messy house will be there when you are dead and gone. Enjoy every minute you have now before it is too late. You never know when the Lord will call you home." The e-mail below also got me to thinking about Grandma...something I hadn't done in a while. A lot of good memories and stories I need to share with the girls.


Will You Dance With Me?
Too many people put off something that brings them joy just because they haven't thought about it or don't have it on their schedule. I got to thinking one day about all those women on the Titanic who passed up dessert at dinner that fateful night in an effort to cut back. From then on, I've tried to be a little more flexible. How often have your kids dropped in to talk and sat in silence while you watched 'Jeopardy' on television? I cannot count the times I called my sister and said, 'How about going to lunch in a half hour?' She would gas up and stammer, 'I can't. I have clothes on the line. My hair is dirty. I wish I had known yesterday, I had a late breakfast, It looks like rain.' And my personal favorite: 'It's Monday.' She died a few years ago. We never did have lunch together. My lips have not touched ice cream in 10 years. I love ice cream. The other day, I stopped the car and bought a triple-Decker. If my car had hit an iceberg on the way home, I would have died happy. Now...go on and have a nice day. Do something you WANT to......not something on your SHOULD DO list. If you were going to die soon and had only one phone call you could make, who would you call and what would you say? And why are you waiting? Ever told your child, 'We'll do it tomorrow.' And in your haste, not see his sorrow? Ever lost touch? Let a good friendship die? Just call to say 'Hi? When you worry and hurry through your day, it is like an unopened gift....Thrown away..... Life is not a race Take it slower. Hear the music before the song is over. 'Life may not be the party we hoped for... but while we are here we might as well dance!

I shortened this quite a bit but I am sure you all can put things in your life into this e-mail. Life is to short and for some reason (unknown to me) we keep going like hamsters on a wheel.

Today lets dance!!


No comments: