Saturday, August 30, 2008

I want to go...

Kenny has been talking about a book he has been wanting to read for a long time. Over the past several months we have both read more than I know we have read in years. God has made us hungry for not only the word in the Bible but for books about His word. Anytime we have a minute you can guarantee there is a book in our hands. Praise God!! As I have read over verses that I have read many times in my life I am learning more and more new and exciting things about Him. God is revealing things about Himself that makes me say, "WOW!"

Yesterday Kenny went to the Bible Book Store and not surprisingly came back with some books. One of them was the book he has been desiring to read. Heaven by Randy Alcorn. I don't know about you but Heaven sounds like the place I want to end up, although I don't really know many details about this place. I have heard it is great but most of the time I have been told, "We will just have to wait till we get there to know."

As Kenny sat there talking to me about this book titled Heaven I could not help but want to read it myself. We both looked at the titles of the Chapters. The more we looked the more envious I became of him. There was another book on the table that he had bought but it didn't look as good to me. I knew he had been wanting to read it so I didn't ask to read it first. I must have looked like a kid staring in the window of a candy store. Kenny asked me if I wanted to read it first. I said nooo! You read it honey.

Well, Guess who started reading the book last night. ME!! I have a great husband! I can already tell that this book is going to have an impact on what I have always thought Heaven would be like. As a child I remember our pastor saying that Heaven would be singing and praising Jesus all day. That sounded great but my little mind couldn't get past thinking, "that's all." I don't think I can sing for that long. It made me a little anxious. I had in my mind that I better get all of the cool things done quickly just in case. This picture that was put in my mind when I was younger has at some points in my life made me dread Heaven. I know, I know that sounds crazy. This is just the human side of me coming out.

I am on page 20, not to far into the book, but today I am excited about Heaven. I am excited about the work I need to do here in my temporary home. I am even more excited about my future permanent home. HEAVEN!!


This was sent to me in an e-mail and I loved the simplicity of the explanation.

A sick man turned to his doctor as he was preparing to
Leave the examination room and said,
'Doctor, I am afraid to die.
Tell me what lies on the other side.'
Very quietly, the doctor said, 'I don't know.'
'You don't know? You, a Christian man,
Do not know what is on the other side?'
The doctor was holding the handle of the door;
On the other side came a sound of scratching and whining,
And as he opened the door, a dog sprang into the room
And leaped on him with an eager show of gladness.
Turning to the patient, the doctor said,
'Did you notice my dog?
He's never been in this room before.
He didn't know what was inside.
He knew nothing except that his master was here,
And when the door opened, he sprang in without fear.
I know little of what is on the other side of death,
But I do know one thing...
I know my Master is there and that is enough
.

No comments: