Friday, April 10, 2009

"Truly this was the Son of God"

50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.
51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised, 53 and coming out of the tombs after his resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many. 54 When the centurion and those who were with him, keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake and what took place, they were filled with awe and said, "Truly this was the Son of God!" - Matthew 27:50-54


It was probably 12 yrs ago during a passion play that our church was presenting that I became very interested in the centurion that was keeping watch over Jesus as he hung on the cross. I tried to put myself in his shoes and understand his feelings. I am sure he had seen many crucifixions but had he ever seen a man crucified that up until his death was ministering to those who cried out to him. Maybe it was during this time that the centurion began to notice that there was something different about Jesus. Most men cursed and swore but Jesus cried out for God to forgive those who were causing His suffering. Or maybe He noticed the sweet mercy in Jesus’ voice when He spoke to the thief beside Him and promised him he would be in Paradise with him that day. Maybe it was as Jesus said, "It is Finished!"

I will probably never know the answer to my question but I do know that Jesus died on the cross to cover our sins so that we can spend eternity with Him. I feel very humbled to think that God cared enough about us to give His son for you and me.

I hope today you have a "Centurion Moment" and the light bulb comes on and you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.


God is so Good!

1 comment:

Happily Ever After said...

Hi Debbie,

As always, I enjoyed reading your post today. You make a very good point about the centurion. You have questions about that and I have questions about Mary Magdaline. I'd just love to know exactly how she felt and thought and whispered to herself as she approached that tomb and saw that stone was rolled away...and then to hear Jesus' voice. I so often think about what that must have been like. We may never know what happened, but if we are a Child of the King that is all that matters.

Happy Easter.

Blessings to you and your family.

Gigi