Thursday, May 7, 2009

National Day of Prayer

Lord Hear Our Cry...
Heal Our Land

Hear my prayer, O God; listen to the words of my mouth. - Psalm 54:2


"One of the great strengths of the United States is...We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or Jewish nation, or Muslim nation, we consider ourselves a nation of citizens" - Barack Obama
The Continental Congress issued a day of prayer in 1775 to designate "a time for prayer in forming a new nation"

There had been several national days of prayer in the U.S. before the day was made official in 1952. On April 17, 1952, President Harry S. Truman signed a bill proclaiming a National Day of Prayer must be declared by each following president at an appropriate date of his choice. In 1982 a National Prayer Committee formed to coordinate and implement a fixed commemorated day of prayer. In 1988, President Ronald Reagan amended the law decreeing that the National Day of Prayer should be held on the first Thursday of May. Since 1952 there has been a public proclamation signed at the White House until today. President Obama has decided to sign the proclamation but in a private.

Yes, of course this is disappointing to me but...and this is a big but...Do we actually need the President to declare a day of prayer for us to pray? No! I can pray anywhere I want anytime I want. God is here with us all the time. From praying in school to praying in my car going down the road doing 70. No one especially the President can take that away from me.

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped. My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song. - Psalm 28:7

God Bless America, Land that I love. Stand beside her and guide her, thru the night with a light from above - God Bless America

Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective. - James 5:16

That this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth. - Gettysburg Address

"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land." - 2 Chronicles 7:14

"It is written," he said to them, " 'My house will be called a house of prayer,'but you are making it a 'den of robbers.' " - Matthew 21:13

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all." (In 1954, in response to the Communist threat of the times, President Eisenhower encouraged Congress to add the words "under God,")

He has showed you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God. - Micah 6:8

If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer." - Matthew 21:22

"Let our hearts be stout, to wait out the travail, to bear sorrows that may come, to impart our courage unto our sons wheresoever they may be. And Oh Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee;" - President Franklin Roosevelt asked the nation to unite in prayer as we stormed the shores of Normandy.

"In God We Trust" - on our currency
Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful. - Colossians 4:2
pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus. - 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18

Join me and many others today in prayer for our country.
If you are in the Nolensville, TN area come by our church office at noon for prayer. After today remember that you do not need a proclamation to talk to the Lord. He is where you are at and ready to listen.

God is so good and HE IS STILL IN CONTROL!


God is so Good!

6 comments:

Niki said...

Debbie~
Great post! Thank you so much for sharing it. Prayer should be like breathing, it should come naturally for us, but often times it doesn't. Thank you for a powerful reminder that we are to be a people of prayer!

Niki

Lois Christensen said...

Great post! And you're right, I don't need President Obama to pray! All I need to do is what the Bible commanded me..."Pray without ceasing." Love the scripture!

Tara said...

AMEN....God is good, all the time!

A House FULL of Grace said...

You are such an encouragement, Debbie. Bless you as you go about your day and we are joining with you in prayer here in the NW.

Happily Ever After said...

Hi Debbie,

Great post! It is true, we don't need anyone for us to pray. I did find it disappointing that the leader of our country is not devoted enough to the core of what our great country was founded on to make a public outreach. I guess it is just a sign of the times...

Thank God that we still live in a country that people recognize the power of prayer!

God bless you.....

Gigi

Sarah Mae said...

I'm so glad you are coming to the party! Woo hoo! :)